Monday 15 June 2009

Offshoring? Don't forget to check out Vietnam

The 2009 Black Book of Outsourcing has recently been published and the Top 10 lists of the safest and riskiest places for outsourcing (and given the geographical spread of the cities being mentioned that means offshoring too) are doing the rounds.

Books of this nature can be extremely helpful, however, given my own experiences, it reaffirmed that you always need to go beyond the circulating headlines. In particular, I am referring to Vietnam which features in neither of the lists mentioned above.

I worked with the Harvey Nash Offshore Software Development team from 2006 through to 2008. During that time I travelled to Vietnam frequently, visiting both Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City. It is hard to summarise the qualities of the Vietnamese people, but I found them to be (in no particular order): courteous, professional, talented, enthusiastic, hard-working, open-minded, quick to learn and good fun. At all times I felt safe, welcome and at ease. The investment that is being made to develop a new source of IT talent is impressive and it feels very much that Vietnam is an up and coming nation.

Picking the right supplier for outsourcing & offshoring is critical to your success and I would encourage you to consider Vietnam as a good place to look.

5 comments:

  1. It's has been my pleasure to be part of your team.

    I would love continue to work as a part of it :)

    Let's see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dave for alll the nice words.
    It was a good time working with you. I've learnt a lot from my last project in UK
    All the best,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice words. Thanks Dave.
    Hope you will succeed with SureSynergy. ;)

    Son Nguyen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice blog.. Thanks for the sharing easy to download It's a successful website..

    ReplyDelete
  5. 10 years ago I introduced and moved Harvey Nash to Vietnam. Based on my previous experience I was convinced that Vietnam had the potential to counter attack India and to create a powerful and professional Offshore development. I made the deal with FPT and an end customer to start a new and challenging adventure completely new to Harvey Nash and not within their skills set at that time. I feel good 10 years later to know that I was right to defend it and to push it. A dream can true but the recognition of it unfortunately stolen. To those who knows the truth....

    ReplyDelete